Monday, January 3, 2011

The Good Times











Tholpavakoothu - is facing a very challenging time now as the number of takers are very few. Even the upcoming generation of the existing artists (performers) are not fully into the study of this art form.

It is basically because the learning of Tholpavakoothu requires the training of a life time. You need to learn by heart thousands of verses from the Kamba Ramayana, and need to have a deep knowledge in Tamil language. The new comers will only be able to scratch the outer layer of some areas.

The golden period of Tholpavakoothu ended with the life of Respected Sri K. L. Krishnan Kutty Pulavar. He was a National Award winner. A real scholar who inherited the skills from his father Late Sri. Lakshmana Pulavar who was the most renowned scholar at his time.

I remember my younger days when I was around 10years of age go to the Aryankavu temple every night with my big Grandfather (who is none other than Sri K. L. Krishnan Kutty Pulavar) and spend the whole night in the Koothu Madam. It normally lasts for 21 nights. My interest will be to get a chance to play the Puppets. My uncles will also be there who learn the art from the Guru.

It is with the efforts of Mr. Venu G (Natana Kairali) and Sri Krishnan Kutty Pulavar, this artform has crossed the seas and found venues in more than a dozen stages across the world.

A Rakshasa (of Ravan Family)

Enjoy the minute details

The outline represents Chariot - you can see the wheels

Puppet is painted with natural color made from tree bark
I am adding some more photos from my own house made by my father  Mr. K. Ramaswamy.

The real beauty of the puppet is enjoyed when the clear shadow is projected  on the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment